torek, 3. april 2018

Magnetic Island, a real animal kingdom

Attention - backpackers rant ahead: What do you do when the island you're on has no signal and absolute shit wifi, but rock vallabies and possums are jumping around, koalas are a step away and you're pretty much living on the beach.......seriously?? I see too many 18-19-20 year-olds (older are no exception either, even I'm still like this way too often -.-) who cannot leave their freaking phone in their bag!! I mean, you're in this paradise, so much to do, so much to see....yet you can't be present in this moment, now! You go on a tour around koala and reptile sanctuary, your face says "ahh, why am I here," don't even pay attention until the guide says "photos", you lift your head, jump to be the first in line, put a fake smile on, take a snap and then bury  your head back into your screen...smile immediately disappears even tho your snapchat story is full of laughing and smiley emojis. Will you even remember the second you touched and held a damn live koala bear?? How fluffy it's fur was, the way it grabbed and held on to you? How amazing you felt when you finally managed to get up that freaking hill and got rewarded with a million dollar view?? Or is the only thing that matters to you getting that perfect insta shot to share with your followers the same second it happened.. it's 21st century, traveling is easier it's ever been, but people seemed to forget why they go on the road in the first place...shouldn't be about making other people jealous, bragging around and showing of, getting drunk every night and be hungover the hole next day, sitting around in your hostel chasing that terrible wifi so you can snap ten thousand pics of your "happy" face from countless different angles.....no, no, noo! It should be about experiencing stuff, meeting new people, new cultures, food, be present in the moment, having fun and making memories for life...sure photos and videos are a way of preserving those memories, but looking back at them years later you also want to remember the feelings you felt at that moment, the funny stories your guide was telling or a crazy thing that happened on the way to your destination....will you?? Probably not... because you're not paying attention, you're not experiencing it and you don't care. And honestly that is one thing that makes me furious. People who don't care, peope who take all of this for granted. Being able to travel is the best thing in the world and I feel so incredibly fortunate to have the guts and ability to do it. Yet not everyone seem to share my opinion and very few seem to understand the real meaning of traveling. Please please please enjoy the moment, be excited to explore new places and take home as much new experience, memories and stories as you can..it did happen, even if you didn't get it on camera or put it on snapchat. Be there, enjoy, LIVE!!! - Rant over. :)


Now that I got that off my chest I can relive my time on Magnetic island, this magical kingdom where Australia's most lovable wild animals are seen in their natural habitat, daily!! All the time actually. Having dinner? -Oh hello mr possum, I can't feed you my food but you're welcome to hang out with me (they're only really interested in food, hanging out is not their thing...kinda like me hahaha)...maybe you're having a relaxing afternoon by the pool, don't be surprised if a wallaby comes jumping around. Might even happen you see a death adder...this one is probably not top of the list of animals you wanna see, but it sure can happen. And my absolute favourite.... the Forts walk where you can spot wild koalas ! *.*
Magnetic Island is a popular stop along the coast. It's located 25min ferry ride from Townsville (damn ferry was 33$!!! -.-). I was staying in a hostel called Bungalow Bay. It's pretty remote but totally worth it. The little houses are very modern - think "glamping" style - and they all have AC, bingooo!!! The place also has camping site and the best thing,  on site wildlife sanctuary that offers tours and breakfast with koalas, boom!
The island itself is pretty small but it has over 20 bays and beautiful beaches to explore...countless amazing walks and you know...animals!!! I've only spent a day and a half there which was really not enough. I was rushing to do as much as possible. The most popular way of getting around the island is for sure a "Barbie" car or a motorbike. But there's busses too and you also have your legs for use 24/7 which is free of charge so.. :D I had enough time to explore our nearest beach-horseshoe bay the day I arrived and had to plan the one full day very strategically. Early morning wake-up so I could start the Forts walk before it got too hot (actually it didn't matter, because as soon as the sun was up it was just blaah, dying haha). It was time to put my  Steve Irvin/Indiana Jones/professional koala spotter/bush-walker attitude on and hit the trail. Honestly, you look like an idiot just staring up in the trees trying really hard to spot that highly desirable drop bear that sleeps 20hours a day and is basically the colour of everything around it. But my inner Steve Irvin surfaced and my eagle eye spotted one right at the beginning of the track....a happy "thank you universe" dance and a million photos later I had to move on if I wanted to stay on schedule for the day. Unfortunately I haven't seen any more these beautiful creatures on the way, but one is so much better than zero! Views from the top were pretty impressive with the sun still rising above the ocean...magnificent!! If only I was up for the actual sunrise! I continued my way from the starting point of Forts walk down (and very much up too) all the way to Radical Bay. Gosh, the heat. But it all paid off with a bunch of fantastic lookout points along the way. If I wasn't so short with time, I'd definitely have a relaxed couple of hours at the beach, buuut koalas don't wait for anyone so two km hike up the freaking mountain steps all the way back to horseshoe bay. Next on the agenda was the highly desired sanctuary tour in my hostel. It cost me 29 for entrance fee and extra 18$ for a koala cuddle dddddddd cause who wouldn't want to cuddle a koala?! Well we certainly got to pet a lot more unusual animals too, including a lizard, baby crock, turtle, snake aaaaand a vombat!!! Siick. It felt like I've done so much already and yet it was only 2:30pm. I caught a bus down to Alma Bay to have a look around that area. I ended up laying on the beach with occasional dips in the sea (very brave of me as I wasn't wearing a stinger suit...wooops) just sunbathing and enjoying the quietness of the area (until a very loud group of Brits came, Jesus!). So my last day on the island went by crazy fast. I ended up in this deep discussion with my roomies about travellers that we meet along the way...and we all came to the same conclusion that there is waaay more solo girl travellers than solo guy travellers! Guys that I (we) met by now were either traveling with their "better" half or in a group...whereas ladies just seem to love the freedom of exploring on their own...hmmmm why is that?! Guys???
Anyways I was up pretty early again the following morning as I wanted to stop at the other side of the island to check out another bay before hoping on the ferry and departing back to Townsville. Before boarding the bus to my next destination I decided to search for Woolies or Coles to buy lunch and some food for the journey. Of course the sun was soooo strong and of course I misread google maps directions and walked waaay further than needed. *properfacepalm* Coles and their AC *loveeeee*....Also what's up with a quarter of baked chicken being cheaper than 200g of "plain leaves and grass" called "a salad"?!?!


This stop was (too) short but very sweet! Loved seeing all the animals, magical sunsets and adding up another piece of adventure to this puzzle. My next destination was one I was dreading  the most (not just because the weather forecast was absolute shit) but also because I was about to do something I never in my wildest dreams imagined I would ever attempt...but more about that next time. :)

Now hop to my Instagram (@dasazagar) to see some photos that again, I can't upload here cause my phone is stupid. -.-


xoxoxo

D.

Ni komentarjev:

Objavite komentar